Imagination, creativity and learning are grounded at Lynedoch in early childhood development
The Lynedoch Children’s House was established in 2000 as a dedicated preschool for children from our village and valley. Here, we follow a Montessori approach to learning, cherishing each child’s innate love for learning in the Infant Community (0 – 3 years) and Children’s House (3 – 6 years).
A child’s foundational years are formative for a life-time of learning and development. We provide integrated and ecologically focused learning and nature-based play. The children also participate in growing and harvesting of organic vegetables. Safe and welcoming, we aim to nurture every facet of the extraordinary potential in the lives of these tiny humans.
The following principles are core to the Lynedoch Children’s House:
- Place-based and applicable to the local context and simple daily living
- Focused on educating for human development in formal and informal ways, and celebrating multiple intelligences – visual-spatial, musical, bodily-kinaesthetic, interpersonal, verbal-linguistic, logical-mathematical, naturalistic and intrapersonal
- Taught in relational and transdisciplinary ways that incorporate literature, art, drama, numeracy and immersion in nature, including for example the children participating in the growing and harvesting of organic vegetables
- Aimed at promoting problem-solving abilities, critical thinking and active decision-making
- Eco-centric in approach encouraging understanding of human-nature reliance and connection with all life, and the ecosystems in which we are embedded
- Core values that infuse respect, responsibility, independence, quality and community
Meaningful transformation and positive development can be achieved through healing, empowering and inspiring the children and youth in our communities. Our approach is holistic in nature, working not only with the children themselves but also their families and wider community.